Ibrance Offers No More Benefits Than Other Breast Cancer Treatments, Analysis Says

The breast cancer therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) offers no more benefits than treatments with which it was compared in clinical trials, according to an analysis by the German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care. In addition, the institute’s dossier assessment, which covers a new therapy's benefits once it reaches the market, concluded that data was inadequate or even missing for several treatment groups, including those receiving Ibrance as a second-line therapy. That makes an accurate assessment impossible, the institute said. Ibrance is approved in the United States and Europe for women with HR-positive, HER2-negative locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer. The approvals are for a combination of Ibrance and either an aromatase inhibitor or Faslodex (fulvestrant) in women who received endocrine -- or hormone -- therapy earlier. In examining possible benefits of the treatment, institute researchers looked at different patient groups, including both premenopausal and postmenopausal women, and women with previous treatments that were unsuccessful. Pfizer, which manufactures Ibrance, had conducted two randomized clinical trials in postmenopausal women, who took it as a first-line treatment. The trials compared a combination of Ibrance and Femara (letrozole) with the use of Femara alone. Researchers found no differences in benefits between the two groups when they compared the women's health status, health-related quality of life, and discontinuation of treatment due to side e
Subscribe or to access all post and page content.

9 comments

1. Linda Rodrigues says:

Cancer 1996 MBC 2014 (in Bones) Only Ibrance/Letrozole has shrunk tumors and prevented progression to organs. Have been on Ibrance for 26 months. Side effects low WBC, hair thinning, exhaustion, rash. This is the only drug that I have been given with reasonable side effects and that works and contains the cancer for me. This is a chronic illness that I will always have. My goal is to contain it as long as I can with a decent quality of life. I will never have the life I had before cancer, but I am doing okay.

• Sandra says:

I will be starting this combination in the next 2 weeks. I also have mets to my bones (spine). Breast cancer in 2008, MBC June 27, 2017. I have all my faith in this new drug. I will just have to adjust to the side effects. I am just thankful to be alive.

• Jon Arams says:

My wife started Ibrance six month ago for metastatic breast cancer in her spine. Did nothing except produce debilitating side effects that left her weak and sleepy for the whole time she took it. Doctor took her off Ibrance last month but continued her on Faslodex monthly. She is back to her normal life. Her PET scans are clean. The question is, a longer life with no quality of life or a real life that may be shorter (or even longer)?

2. Rom says:

My mother tried Ibrance but it unfortunately did not help her. Her original diagnosis was in 10/2000 (age 66) with treatment using chemo Taxol (paclitaxel) and partial mastectomy. Recurrence came in 12/2010 with inoperable stomach mets. After this she had chemo with Xeloda (capecitabine), regular hormonal therapy Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane). During this time, she lost her husband of 50 yrs, and eventually the conventional hormonal therapies’ side effects and ever-present cancer really attacked her, and I and Mom turned with hope towards Ibrance. Her oncologist thought to give it a chance, even though we knew that it was only ‘proven’ by Pfizer in those patients who had not undergone primary hormonal therapy and also for younger patients, my Mom was already 80. I was with her through most of her last year, it was very sad, because I could see that Ibrance was not helping her. Many tough days and nights that summer, then she stopped eating and passed away within 2 months of beginning and the quitting Ibrance. The mentally-related side effects of that time were very bewildering for her and for me. We were on an extremely difficult emotional roller coaster and my poor Mom was on the receiving end of almost all the fears and pains. The hormonal therapies I believe can create some real problems (anxiety, emotions, enhanced fears, etc.)for the suffering patients. I understand, the cancer relies on the hormones, but so do humans.. it is a tough battle. I pray for the improved therapies and oucomes. In the end, I was so happy for the extra years I had with Mom, but I was sad that Ibrance did not help, and also, I feel guilty because I was telling her how much hope there still was. Yes, she lived a long life, I am grateful, but I still miss her very very much , since it has been 2 years now! I think that Ibrance surely is helping many patients and I really hope it and other new treatments destroy cancer and give happy life back to all people.

3. Ann says:

My niece is trying to appeal insurance company for them to cover the cost of Ibrance. She said it is $475 a pill . How did you manage?

• jimt says:

Get pfizer involved. they are proving me free ibrance because as a male, united health care would not approve it abd wanted me on a drug(lupron) that chemically castrates a man… my doctor did not see any advantage especially to my quality of life. i have recurring breast cancer in bobes and liver

• Jennifer A Paul says:

You should see if your doctor’s office has a nurse navigator. They should have done this already. There are grants out there for help in getting your medication. Have your niece’s doctor write letters and send documents to her insurance company. It is sad but I have heard of insurance companies refusing to pay for chemo even though you pay your premiums. One is United Health Care. Meanwhile their CEO gets in the neighborhood of 143 million dollars a year. I pray for your niece. I am fighting Metastatic Breast Cancer also. Love, Jennifer