Minimally Invasive Breast Cancer Cryotherapy Largely Ignored in U.S., Says Advocate and 13-Year Survivor

PaulLauraLaura Ross-Paul of Portland, Oregon, calls herself a "patient pioneer," as one of the first women in the world to receive cryoablation as the primary treatment for her multi-focused breast cancer 13 years ago. Cryotherapy, also called cryosurgery, cryoablation or targeted cryoablation therapy, is a minimally invasive procedure that uses the application of extremely cold temperatures (cryo) to destroy diseased tissue (ablation), including cancer cells. For internal tumors, cryotherapy is carried out by using a cryoprobe -- a thin hollow wand-like device with a handle or trigger or a series of small needles, attached via tubing to a source of nitrogen or argon, which super-cools the probe tip through which cooled, thermally conductive fluids are circulated. Cryoprobes are inserted into or placed adjacent to diseased tissue in a way that ablation will provide correction, yielding benefit to the patient. The cryoprobe is placed in the proper position using imaging guidance, and as internal tissue is being frozen, the physician avoids damaging healthy tissue by viewing movement of the probe on ultrasound, computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance (MRI) images transmitted to a video monitor. With the probes in place, the cryogenic freezing unit removes heat from the tip of the probe and by extension from surrounding tissues. Ablation occurs in tissue that has been frozen by at least three mechanisms: • Formation of ice crystals within cells, thereby disrupting membranes and inte
Subscribe or to access all post and page content.

33 comments

1. What pisses me off about this excuse for not using cryoablation (to wait and see) is that’s it’s complete nonsense. Why do doctors perform colonoscopies starting at age 50? They go in and anything that looks suspicious, such as colon polyps, are removed as a preventative measure. Why is there any difference when it comes to breast cancer and preventive care? Someone needs to answer this question.

2. Nedra Kissling says:

Are there any doctors in Arizona that will perform the procedure? Or any other state? I have a 3+cm breast tumor and have been treating it holistically myself since February 2, 2016. I would like to get the cryoablation procedure done on this tumor. Thank you for your help.

• Lori says:

There is a doctor in San Diego named Dr Stryker who is one of the best doctors out there performing this procedure.

• Angellee Darger says:

Yes. Dr. Stryker in San Diego, California does this and she is very good. Look her up on the internet. I’ve heard great things about her and her patients.

• Elim says:

My mom is getting this procedure today in Atlanta. I’m very excited. She’s been strong, but had more than a few problems during this whole procedure.

• Todd Goodwin says:

I am the Georgia distributor for Sanarus Technologies, a company that specializes in the cryoablation of breast cancer. Our system is FDA approved and backed by a 5 year NCIS study which showed superior results compared to excision. The website is http://www.sanarus.com . There is a toll free number under the “contact us” heading.

• Lori says:

• Amy says:

Hi Lori,

I checked out Dr. Stryker’s website but don’t see her name mentioned anywhere else. How do you know she’s one of the best doing cryoablation?

Thx.

• Janice says:

I had it done by Dr. Littrup in Rochester Hills, Michigan at Crittenton Hospital. He is no longer at Karmanos, as stated in the article. The surgery was done a year ago on a breast cancer reoccurrence, and so far, it has been completely successful.

3. Elim says:

I can’t edit my comment, I meant to say my mom is getting this procedure done today in Atlanta. I’m very excited. She’s been strong, but has had more than a few problems during her whole breast cancer TREATMENT (prior to the procedure). I will try to remember to post how it goes.

4. Izzy says:

Doctors in America use wrong kind of gas, I had it done in Austria and was told that the temperature has to be -180 celsius where in the UŠ they only mannage to bring IT to -60. It is not in the interest of medical care to Save us but to make money. I was treated at Cedars in LA and after 6 surgeries, chemos, radiation etc came to look for Solutions in EUROPE. Austria and Germany are saving many lifes not killing people with drugs like back Home. If you can afford it don’t wait.

• Kelly says:

Izzy, Where in Austria did you go? I am newly diagnosed and trying to find resources for cryoablation. I know that Fuda hospital in Guangzhou does it, so I’m considering that option.

• izabela says:

The treatment in Austria is done by Professor Nikolai Korpan in Vienna, he treats 95% of cancer patients (not only breast) with cryosurgery. You can tell him that Izabela gave contact so it will be cheaper. The hotel nearby is Kaiser Franz Joseph, if you book directly with hotel it’s cheaper then on internet.
        Here is the address
        Rudolfinerhaus
        WebsiteDirections
        4,5
        40 Google reviews
        Private hospital in Vienna, Austria
        Address: Billrothstraße 78, 1190 Wien
        Hours: Open today · Open 24 hours
        Phone: 01 360360

• Gandhi says:

Hello Izabella,

Please let me know the approximate range of the costs for cryoablation/cryosurgery. Thanks a lot. Kindly reply ASAP. Thanks again

• Abelha says:

Hi Izabela, I have an triple negative large invasive ductal carcinoma and I’m interested in in Cryo. I’m in the UK, so Austria would be closer for me. Could you tell me the name of the hospital there?

• Cindy says:

Edith,

I was on this site after researching cryoablation a bit more for a friend who has BC. My 17 yr old son had testicular cancer last year and after surgery and chemo, has a residual teratoma tumor that requires a horrific surgery. Through a friend who is a nurse, we found a fantastic interventional radiologist in Jacksonville who did a cryo procedure on his tumor. He could only get half of it due to the location near the aorta, but we just had a scan and are hoping it shrunk enough that he can get the remaining half. We’ll do anything to avoid cutting him from chest to pelvis with 6 days in the hospital and 6 weeks of recovery. It has shrunk some, we can tell looking at the scan ourselves. We are in Jacksonville and seeing Dr. Jamie Edwards at Saint Vincents Hospital in the Interventional Radiology dept.

I’ll email you my contact info.

Cindy

5. Carolyn says:

Hi Izmir, I am also interested and want to find out if I am a candidate for this. I have triple negative breast cancer that has shrunk significantly with chemo. What are the hospitals that perform this procedure according to the correct temperatures? Interested in either Germany or Austria, or anywhere in Europe. Please hurry my dr. Want some to do surgery soon.

6. Jerry Czarnecki says:

Whatever you do, be aware that biopsies {both incisional and needle-type) often seed (disseminate) cancers and make cancers more aggressive. This has been documented in the medical literature for three decades: “Biopsies increase the virulence of existing cancers”, ” .””As much as 20% of metastases could occur because of an incisional biopsy and would not have occurred if the tumor were not violated before its excision”. “Numerous case reports of malignant seeding resulting from needle biopsies have been reported for different tumors.” „When probing for breast cancer, tumor cells in the blood droplets were present in 74% cases in blood passing the skin orifice, with the potential of seeding cancer.“ With other cancers, like liver cancer or skin melanoma, the deadly effect of biopsies is even much higher: up to 44%. This seems to be an un-mentionable taboo in the medical community.
    Biopsies are not only harmful, they are also outdated, and their sampling is unreliable. There is about a dozen of new instrumental methods: MRI, Contrast Ultrasound, RT-PCR, CT-scan, “Liquid Biopsy” (“Circulating Tumor Cells” method, nothing to do with needle biopsies) provide vastly richer information, without causing the cancers to proliferate. Company Cynvenio (Westlake Village, California) is offering now breast-cancer test based on analysis of blood samples “which dentifies circulating tumor cell and detects emergent genetic alterations associated with resistance to therapy, and has been optimized to monitor patients with advanced breast cancer during initiation of therapy and at regular intervals following treatment.” “Cynvenio’s liquid biopsy blood tests accurately target known DNA & RNA mutations in cancer-related genes to revolutionize personalized treatment decision making and clinical trial selection”
    That was about diagnosis. The traditional treatment of breast cancer pales by comparison with cryo-ablation: “Almost half women with early stage, invasive breast cancer report severe or very severe side effects from their treatment.” “”As an oncologist, I knew from my clinical practice that more women were suffering than is generally reported in clinical trials,”” said Allison Kurian, MD, MSc, an associate professor of medicine and health research and policy at Stanford University.”

7. Eva Aldrich says:

I am in Kentucky and am looking for a physician to treat my breast cancer with cryoablation. Please email me and let me know how I can contact Dr. Littrup or another doctor who might be willing to treat me.

• Janice says:

Eva, Dr Littrup is at Crittendon Hospital in Rochester Hills, MI. He is one of the best in the world. He just performed cryoablation on me last week.

8. Jennifer says:

Hello, thank you for this informative article. I was just diagnosed with 8mm invasive carcinoma. I am close to Los Angeles. Do you know of a doctor in the area with expertise in this procedure.

And do you know names of doctors in Europe? I just moved back to the States from Europe two months ago and I would be happy to go back for treatment.

9. Lisa says:

I can personally recommend Dr. Jason Williams who performs cryoablation and researches immunotherapies, of Williams Cancer Institute.

I recently met a lung cancer patient of Dr. Williams, who was told by Cancer Center of America they were not a cryoablation candidate, since it was not accessible.

May we join together to speak up about the corruption within the USA medical system.

May we only choose to support the pay checks of medical professionals, or any person, who will do the right things for human kind.

• izabela says:

Hi Lisa,
      I was told that they don’t do it right in the US, the temperature is nt cold enough, it has to be minus 180 celsius. Look up in comments I left the name and info of the best doctor in the field. Was treated at Cedars Sinai in LA

• Diana Tucker says:

There is a new company in San Diego that can get down to below 180. They have been talking to Dr Susan Love who advocates this idea if freezing BEFORE it becomes cancer but they need investors to bring it to market. Also, a group question: if insurance won’t cover it, would u pay cash out of pocket?

10. Nancy says:

Hello does anyone know if conventional adjuvant treatment (like radiation/medication) is needed after cryoablation?

11. lee grobbelaar says:

Hi, I am hoping this will be an answer for a pleomorphic liposarcoma of the arm, it is also visible under my skin. Currently have very aggressive and ugly proposed surgery would like to explore this as a possibility I am in South Africa. Germany would probably be the best place for me to go?
    Can anyone advise on this

12. Jeanne says:

Dennis Holmes MD in Glendale CA is doing cryoablation for breast cancer. That is at least west coast for the person wanting something near Seattle.